Date: June 11, 2013
Categories: Children / Discipleship
The New City Catechism was developed by Timothy Keller and Sam Shammas from the Reformation catechisms. It’s aim is to help teach and explain the building blocks of the gospel and to help strengthen the church’s distinct identity. It comprises 52 questions and answers—therefore there is only one question and answer for each week of the year.
New City Catechism is based on and adapted from Calvin’s Geneva Catechism, the Westminster Shorter and Larger Catechisms, and especially the Heidelberg Catechism.
It is divided into 3 parts to make it easier to learn in sections and to include some helpful divisions:
PART 1 = God, creation and fall, law (20 questions);
PART 2 = Christ, redemption, grace (15 questions);
PART 3 = Spirit, restoration, growing in grace (17 questions).
New City Catechism is a joint project between Redeemer Presbyterian Church and The Gospel Coalition.
- displays the catechism question according to the current week for the year in a mobile friendly way
- the adult version contains a longer answer to the weekly question, bible verse, commentary and prayer on the topic from a historical preacher (e.g. Augustine, Edwards, Spurgeon, Wesley, etc.), suggested reading and a short video teaching from a modern preacher (e.g. Don Carson, Mark Dever, Timothy Keller, John Piper, etc.)
- the child version displays a shorter answer, the bible verse, a cut down prayer and a relevant children’s song
- English and Spanish
- can move back and forward through the questions
- lists all the questions on one page
- Choose between Bible versions. ESV or NIV for English. RVR1960 or LBLA for Spanish
- Android: swipe from the left of screen to open up the menu; or press the button on the top left
- Android: can move app to SD Card
- Android: basic pinch to zoom
- Android: default settings for which version to display on load
- Android: can set when you want to start from Question 1
Official New City Catechism site: http://www.newcitycatechism.com
The mobile friendly site I made: http://ncc.ampers.x10.mx
The Christianado – New City Catechism made it onto a short list of four apps (not really because of the app itself, but because of the content). The other apps listed were the ESV Bible and content from R. C. Sproul and John Piper. 4 Actually Useful Spirtuality Apps, 31st October 2013.
ACS Technologies – New City Catechism made it again on to another short list as a great study tool. Ministry apps that promote spiritual health, 12th November 2013.
History on Google play
11th June 2013 – Version 1 released
25th June 2013 – 100th download
24th August 2013 – 500th download
23rd October 2013 – 1,00th download
28th October 2013 – Version 2 released. All content is within the app, has two preferences: default version, new starting date.
24th December 2013 – Version 3, getting ready for it to be the official app.
6th January 2014 – Tim Keller tweets a link to this app and it is downloaded 564 times that day
7th January 2014 – 2,500th download
14th May 2014 – 5,000th download
14th May 2014 – 5,000th download
29th October 2014 – 7,500th download
8th December 2014 – Version 4, Spanish translation added
25th March 2014 – 10,000th download
30th March 2017 – 20,000th download
13th April 2017 – Removed from the Play store